When it comes to enjoying sushi, vegetarians need not left behind. Chef Shreeya Mitra of Sushi and Moreteaches Anjum Chevalwala how to wow her guests with some fun vegetarian sushi.
Pre cooked rice – 3 packets
Nori (seaweed) sheets – 1 packet
Sushi su vinegar – 3 tsp
Wasabi (horseradish paste) – 1 tube
Pickled ginger (gari) – 1 packet
Kikkoman All Purpose Soy Sauce – as per requirement
Tofu pockets (inari) – 4 pcs
*Pickled plum powder (yukari) – ½ tsp
*Shredded pickled ginger – as per requirement
* Pickled radish (takuwan) – as per requirement
Sushi mat (makisu) – 1
(Ingredients marked ‘*’ are optional)
Philadelphia cream cheese – 1 tbsp
Roasted white sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
Bell peppers- red and yellow – 1 of each
Desi cucumber – 1
Asparagus – 1 spear
- Peel back a small portion of the cover of the pre-cooked rice pack. Add a teaspoon of water to it and heat it in the microwave for five minutes.
- Put all the rice into a large mixing bowl and add three tsp of sushi vinegar to it.
- Peel and blanch a spear of asparagus.
- Mix it carefully using a wooden spatula.
- Make sure the rice is steaming hot while doing so.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and keep it aside.
For sushi rolls
- Cut de-seeded bell peppers into half centimetre thick strips sliced along the length.
- Cut de-seeded desi cucumber into thick strips sliced along the length, with skin.
- Take the sushi mat and cover it with cling wrap to make sure the rice stick on it.
- By doing this, you can re-use the mat easily.
- Carefully cut the nori sheet into half along the horizontal markings.
- Place it on the sushi mat with the rough surface facing you.