A fun fact about this little confectionary is that it is so popular in Paris and France, that you can even find some at the local McDonalds. While the recipe below has a chocolate filling, we say be bold and experiment with a few of your own ideas.
For Macaroon batter:
(Makes 20 macaroons)
Powdered sugar 100 gms
Almond powder 100 gms
Egg whites 70 gms
Castor sugar 65 gms
Pink food colouring 3 gms
For chocolate filling:
Semisweet or bittersweet chocolate 115 gms
Heavy whipped cream 90 gms
Butter 15 gms
Cinnamon powder 1 tsp
Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Whisk together the powdered sugar and almond powder until there are no lumps.
3. Beat the egg whites.
4. While whipping, add the castor sugar until it forms firm stiff peaks.
5. Mix the stiff egg white meringue with the powdered sugar and almond powder.
6. Add the pink food colouring.
7. Pipe this batter onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper, around 1 inch (3 cm circles), evenly spaced one inch apart. Let the tray sit aside for 30 minutes.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
9. Cool completely before removing from baking sheet.
For the filling:
1. Place the chopped chocolate in a stainless steel bowl.
2. Heat the cream and spices in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
3. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow it to stand for 5 minutes,
4. Stir with a whisk until smooth
5. Stir in the butter and let it cool.
Spread a bit of chocolate filling with a spoon or piping bag onto the inside of the macaroons and sandwich them together. Refrigerate and store them in an airtight container and the macaroons will stay fresh for three days.