On Teachers’ Day, Shirin Mehrotra pays tribute to some of the most fun teachers in Hindi Films.
Bollywood has had its fair share of inspiring and serious teachers but today we give you a list of the most fun loving, romantic, glamorous and crazy teachers we’ve ever had.
Remember the scene where Little Sanju stretches out his palm and asks his teacher Ravi (Jeetendra), “maroge nahin?” (You won’t hit me?), it broke our heart. But then, we had the perfect teacher to sort the lives of the spoiled kids as well as their grandfather Rai Sahab (Pran in an unforgettable role).
Amitabh Bachchan/ Dharmendra, Chupke Chupke
He (Amitabh Bachchan) was the confused English teacher who didn’t know the ‘B’ of Botany but still mugged up from a Botany book to woo his lady love. Now what’s not to love about this romantic teacher? Big B played a teacher in few other films including Black and Aarakshan but Professor Sukumar Sinha takes the cake.
Although we never saw Dr. Parimal Tripathi (Dharmendra) teaching or doing anything remotely close to teaching in the film yet we loved the ghaas phoos ka doctor. After all he did teach his brother-in-law (Om Prakash) a thing or two about shuddh Hindi.
Simi Garewal, Mera Naam Joker
Way before Chandni Chopra (Sushmita Sen) in Main Hoon Na, Bollywood had Miss Mary (Simi Garewal) who was the secret crush of all the students including the chubby Raju (Rishi Kapoor). We loved her kind, understanding and loving rapport with Raju.
Ashok Kumar, Choti Si Baat
It takes a really good teacher to turn an under confident man around and make him into a smart lad. Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh (Ashok Kumar) did a splendid job in making a man out of the shy Arun Pradeep (Amol Palekar). Salute to you, Sir!
Divya Dutta, Stanley Ka Dabba
Rosy Miss (Divya Dutta) was the perfect protagonist to the bad, mean and daba stealing Khadoos (Amol Gupte). She was the problem solver, understanding and the ever smiling teacher. Doesn’t she remind you of your own favourite teacher in school?
Amir Khan, Taare Zameen Par
He sang, he danced, he played the flute and he made teachers cool with that fun hairdo. He was also kind and sympathetic towards students with learning disabilities. Ram Shankar Nikumbh (Amir Khan) will always be that teacher we wish we all had.
Naseeruddin Shah, Sir
A teacher who plays a cupid! Sounds filmy but not so much when Naseeruddin Shah is essaying the role. He broke into a song in the middle of the lecture, fought for a young couple in love and also helped Pooja (Pooja Bhatt) overcome her stammering. Sir, we really love you.
Naseeruddin Shah, Iqbal
It took Iqbal (Shreyas Talpade) a lot of time to convince an alcoholic, unsuccessful cricketer Mohit (Naseeruddin Shah) to teach him Cricket. But once he took Iqbal under his tutelage there was no looking back for him. Now this is one inspiring teacher/coach that our Indian Cricket Team should have.
Sushmita Sen, Main Hoon Na
Did you find Chemistry boring? You wouldn’t if you were in a certain college in Main Hoon Na and were taught by Miss Chandni Chopra (Sushmita Sen). The pallu of her chiffon sari didn’t just set the violins off in Ram Prasad Sharma’s (ShahRukh Khan) head. Almost every guy was humming the same tune as SRK. Sigh. For the rest of us Chemistry is still boring.
Nagesh Kukunoor, Rockford
If ever there has been a teacher in Hindi films who was close to reality it’s Johny Matthew (Nagesh Kukunoor) in Rockford. The P.T. teacher is a friend we all want in our teachers. He helps his student meet his girlfriend, encourages him to be strong and confident and bravely faces the allegations of a sexual assault. Bravo, teacher!
Mehmood/Kishore Kumar, Padosan
To list Bollywood’s best teachers and not have Master Pillai (Mehmood) and Guru Vidyapati (Kishore Kumar) in it would be a crime. Even though Master Pillai was more focused on the chatur naar than teaching and Guru was a teacher only by name, they certainly knew their music pretty well.
Archana Puran Singh, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
If it wasn’t for her (Archana Puran Singh) “What is love?” question, Anjali (Kajol) would never have discovered her love for Rahul (ShahRukh Khan). So this one’s for Miss Briganza, aha!
Sanjay Dutt, Lagey Raho Munnabhai
Technically Munnabhai (Sanjay Dutt) wasn’t a teacher but no one taught Gandhigiri better than him even if it was caused by the chemical locha in his brain. We loved Sanju Baba as a fake History professor, hai na mamu?
Want to pick your favourite from the list? Go ahead and leave a comment.
- Jeetendra as Ravi in Parichay The fun loving teacher
- Amitabh Bachchan as Prof. Sukumar Sinha in Chupke Chupke The confused but romantic Prof. of English
- Dharmendra as Prof. Parimal Tripathi The 'ghas-phoos ka doctor'
- Simi Garewal as Miss Mary in Mera Naam Joker A teacher every boy had a secret crush on
- Ashok Kumar as Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh in Choti Si Baat The love guru
- Divya Dutta as Rosy Miss in Stanley Ka Dabba We all had one teacher like her
- Amir Khan as Ram Shankar Nikumbh in Taare Zameen Par A teacher we all wish we had
- Naseeruddin Shah as Amar Verma in Sir A teacher, a friend and a cupid
- Naseeruddin Shah as Mohit in Iqbal A teacher who will never give up on you
- Sushmita Sen as Chandni Chopra in Main Hoon Na The 'college crush' teacher
- Nagesh Kukunoor as Johny Matthew in Rockford A teacher who will always watchout for you
- Mehmood as Master Pillai in Padosan The teacher who'll teach you to sing
- Kishore Kumar as Guru Vidyapati in Padosan The teacher who'll teach you fake singing
- Archana Puran Singh as Miss Briganza in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai The teacher who'll do everything except teaching ;)
- Sanjay Dutt as Prof. Murali Prasad Sharma in Lage Raho Munnabhai The only teacher to teach you Gandhigiri